Weight Loss for Kids: Elimination Diet Week Two
Adequate nutrition for your obese child is a major part of your family’s journey toward healthy living. During week one, you made some of the first changes necessary to transform your child’s diet. As part of your family’s meal plan, continue offering healthy snacks for kids and healthy beverages like skim milk and water.
Week two has one major goal: Reduce high-fat foods.
Achieve this goal at home and when dining out with the following guidelines:
- Grill instead of fry.
- Make macaroni and cheese with skim milk. Reduce the butter.
- Use healthy fats such as olive oil and nuts.
- Serve chicken and fish instead of beef.
- When serving beef, cut off the fat or choose the lowest fat percentage ground beef (like 90% lean)
- Serve broiled chicken breast chunks instead of chicken nuggets. Dunk in barbecue sauce.
- Substitute turkey dogs for regular hot dogs.
- Serve reduced salt and reduced fat bacon.
- Substitute sherbet or light frozen yogurt for ice cream.
- Downsize soft dessert portions to “dipping cups” instead of a huge bowl.
- Order grilled chicken sandwiches instead of fried chicken sandwiches.
- Order baked fish instead of fried fish.
- Share French fries.
- Trade soda for water.
- Take off one-half of the burger bun.
- Cut out the cheese from sandwiches and burgers.
- Order turkey or roast beef sandwiches instead of grilled cheese.
- Order sides of fruits, veggies or cottage cheese over French fries.
- Order thin-crust pizza with vegetables instead of regular crust with meat.
- Order miniature bagels instead of a regular-sized bagel.
- Skip dessert, even if it comes with the kid’s meal. Ask the server not to bring them. Pay the check and leave!