5 Tips to Avoid Weight Gain During COVID-19 ConfinementPosted: Jan 28 in Lifestyle by Staff
During the solitary confinement of the world, many people are experiencing all sorts of effects from the COVID-19 pandemic. Even for those who have been lucky enough to evade the virus thus far, the impacts of living in a global pandemic extend beyond just viral. One of the biggest concerns for many people who are riding out the virus locked in their homes is weight gain.
For many who are now working remotely, not having to change out of pajamas or a reason to leave the house has a significant impact on their daily routines. Common side effects, including boredom and laziness, tend to have a direct impact on increased weight gain. Here are 5 basic tips to avoid packing on extra pounds during the lockdown.
1) Stay Active – Being stuck at home is no excuse for being lazy. Spending a mere 30 minutes a day doing a YouTube workout video will get the blood flowing and calories burning. For people who don’t have much space available, a quick yoga session offers a great and centering workout in a small space.
2) Stay Hydrated – One of the best ways to flush a person’s system and clean out body toxins is to stay hydrated. Among many other health effects, water helps prevents muscle shrinking and breakdown. Keeping a glass or bottle of water easily accessible will promote healthy drinking habits and help keep muscles toned. Avoid drinks high in sugar or caffeine, as these tend to do more harm than good for the body.
3) Meal Prep – One major way to avoid binge eating is to pre-plan meals. By portioning out daily meals, skipping meals and binge eating are less likely. Both of these are likely to lead to weight gain. Meal prep is a great way to manage nutrition while also setting a regular eating schedule with appropriate portions. There are tons of great meal prep guides available to keep you from getting bored with one set of recipes. Don’t be afraid to try out new ones!
4) Choose Healthier Snacks – Improper snacking is an easy way to pack on the pounds. Making simple substitutions to snacking habits can significantly lower weight gain. For example, swapping out milk chocolate for dark chocolate and pretzels for popcorn will provide a healthier alternative while still satisfying snack cravings. When in doubt, grab a piece of fruit or a handful of nuts.
5) Regulate Sleep – An unregulated sleep schedule can be a silent impactor on weight gain, and is often overlooked as a cause. It is easy to lose track of a schedule when working remotely, which is becoming more and more popular. Maintaining a normal sleeping schedule restores the body, generating the energy it needs throughout the day. Under or oversleeping can have lasting effects on the body, not the least of which is weight gain.
These five tips are simple ways to encourage healthy living in a pandemic stricken locked-down world. Falling into bad habits is easy, especially when boredom rates and hours spend watching Netflix continue to increase. These simple steps will ensure basic body care and help avoid overeating. Your clothes will thank you later.