Tips for Eating OutPosted: Oct 22 in Healthy Eating Menu by Wendy Scinta
Eating out can be a real challenge if you are trying to keep your calorie count down. There are some good strategies for making the best of a restaurant menu–here are some tips to try the next time you eat out:
Look for key words on the menu. Choose foods that are steamed, roasted, broiled, poached or baked rather than ones that are fried.
- Keep an eye out for menu items that are marked as healthy, light or low-cal. Some places will also point out low fat or low carb options.
- Ask for what you want. When ordering salads, request that the dressing or any sauces be served on the side so you can put on just a little bit. See if the cook can prepare your food using less oil. Substitute a small salad for fries or potatoes. Many places are happy to accommodate your special needs if you let them know ahead of time.
- Split your dish. Share with a friend or box up half the meal to take home.
- Opt to take a pass on alcohol. You will just add empty calories.
- Don’t order sweets after the meal. Go for a cup of tea or coffee instead.