Give H2O More Flavor during Medical Weight Loss
Water is, hands down, the healthiest drink around. With zero calories and a crucial role throughout the body, water is something we should all be drinking every single day, especially during a weight loss program.
Unfortunately, many people are drawn more to soft drinks and other sugary beverages than good old fashioned H2O. This is because these drinks have something that water usually doesn’t: flavor. However, that flavor typically comes with lots of calories, and other drinks don’t hydrate us like plain water will.
Whether you’re trying to give up a soda habit or simply want a more exciting way to stay hydrated as you during medical weight loss, there’s an easy solution: flavor-infused water.
Water can easily be infused with the taste of a variety of fruits and herbs. Though infused water has a subtler taste than fruit juice, it gives you the freedom to experiment with countless different flavors and combinations. Berries and citrus fruits work particularly well, but you can essentially use anything you like—bananas are the only fruit that this truly doesn’t work with.
To start infusing water, all you need is:
- A glass jar or pitcher (2 quarts is a good size)
- A wooden spoon
- Your favorite fruit and/or herbs
Once you have these items, the steps are pretty simple:
- Place your fruit and herbs in the bottom of the jar or pitcher, then mash them up a bit with the wooden spoon to start releasing some of their flavor and juices.
- Fill the jar or pitcher with water and ice, then stir. The ice will help to prevent bits of fruit and herb from getting in your water glass as you pour. You can also use a wire strainer.
- Put a lid on your infusion and enjoy immediately or leave in the fridge to chill. The flavor of infused water intensifies as it continues to sit, so some people prefer to let it refrigerate overnight.
Ready to start infusing? Here are a few combinations to try:
- Half of a sliced cucumber, half of a sliced lime and ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup cubed watermelon and a sprig of rosemary
- ½ cup cubed pineapple, half of a sliced orange and one tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ cup blackberries and ¼ cup sage leaves
Water should be your drink of choice during medical weight loss, but with flavor combinations like these, drinking water never has to be boring. Keep experimenting with different ingredients and let us know your favorites in the comments!