What You Can Do About Teen Weight ProblemsPosted: Mar 16 in Bounce by
As an overweight teenager, there are a lot of factors that you cannot control when it comes to your weight. Genetics have control over how quickly you feel full, which can cause some people to overeat. Teens also may have family overeating habits to overcome. Plus, sometimes being a teen is not fun, and then emotional eating plays a role in teen obesity.
What’s good to know is that there are many factors that you can take control of. By exercising your power over these factors, you can take positive steps to lose weight and get fit.
- Educate yourself about food. Learn which foods are healthiest and which should be eaten in moderation. Learn how to cook fresh and healthful meals.
- Build a support network. It’s easier to engage in a medical weight loss program when you have friends and family on your side. You can also seek out a weight loss support group. There are a number of them here in the Syracuse area.
- Pay attention to what you eat. If you are snacking on chips or cookies while watching TV or doing homework, it’s easy to overeat without realizing it.
- Write what you eat in a food diary. By recording meals and snacks, you can learn more about your eating patterns. Writing down what you eat also forces you to be mindful and not eat absentmindedly or out of boredom.
- Research exercise programs. There are many ways to get moving and improve your health. By finding out what is right for you, whether it’s yoga, basketball or kayaking, you can assure that you will stick with the program.
- Begin forming lifelong habits now. By eating right and exercising as a teen, you are setting the groundwork for a lifetime of healthy habits.